What funny interview questions you’ve gotten lately? What funny interview questions did you ask?
Have you ever gotten into an interview and wondered, ‘Why on God’s green earth are they asking me this question?!’? Well, that’s exactly what I thought when I watched this video! I seriously watched it 3 or 4 times as it’s hilarious and amazing!! This gal poses REAL interview questions to kiddos and their responses are fantastic! I had to share this with you this week. Trust me – it’s worth the watch.
As funny as that video is, some of these are super wacky! Here’s the thing. The Global Recruiting Trends Report of 2018 tells us that our interviewing falls short and here’s how:
What’s funny (or scary) is the deficit in the soft skills space topping the charts. I personally LOVE to ask the soft skills and behavioral questions. These really get to the heart of how
individuals act and whether they are a good fit for my team. There are a ton of these types of questions, but here are some of my favorites:
- Learning to Adjust: None of us is perfect. Tell me about a time when you were overwhelmed with too many things to do at once. What did you do? What did you learn from that experience to do differently the next time?
- Ability to Communicate: Tell of a time when your active listening skills really paid off. Perhaps a situation when others missed a key idea or issue.
- Managing Stress: Describe what your process is for managing stress.
- Being Proactive: We can sometimes recognize a small problem and fix it before it becomes a major problem. Give an example of how you acted to prevent a larger problem from occurring.
- Receiving Constructive Feedback: Tell me about a time when it was hard for you to receive feedback. How did you respond and what did you do differently the next time?
Of all of these, the one that throws folks off their game is #3. I’ve had people get tripped up over this, which is telling. If they don’t have a process or some way of letting off steam, that’s a red flag for me too!
Whether you are the interviewer or interviewee, it makes sense to knock the dust off your process and questions as well as your preparedness.
Need help with behavioral and soft skills questions?
Let’s have a conversation, just you and me! You can schedule a time here. There is no cost. This is not a sales call masquerading as a strategy call. I just want to support you. The topic is up to you.